Tuesday 26 August 2008

Awesome "People" Interview with the Obamas and the Bidens





From People.com:


Barack Obama Reveals How He Popped the Question to Joe Biden
By Sandra Sobieraj Westfall


When PEOPLE caught up with the candidates the day of their Aug. 23 announcement, the banter was easy between the onetime rivals – who became a team once Obama, 47, asked the senator from Delaware, 65, to help on the ticket. Also joining in the conversation: wives Michelle Obama, 44, and Jill Biden, 57.

This is the first mate you've chosen since Michelle.
Barack Obama: That's a good point.
Michelle Obama: Barack is looking for people who will challenge him, who will tell him no.
Barack: That's exactly what you need [in a vice-president].
Michelle: That's why he married me. (Laughs.) So I'd tell Sen. Biden, don't pull any punches.

Now, if Sen. Biden starts yelling at you about picking up your socks ...
Barack: Then we're in trouble. Don't do that, Joe.
Joe Biden: Don't worry.

How did you pop the question?

Barack: I called his office and they had to hunt him down. When I finally got him, he said he was at the dentist's office. I realized only later that he was being a doting husband, looking after Jill during a root canal.

How did Sen. Biden tell the family?
Jill Biden: My granddaughter, Maisy, turned 8 and we were having a little birthday party for her. We had just finished blowing out the candles and were cutting the cake. Joe said to everybody, 'Hey, I have something that I'd like to announce.' And he said, 'Barack called me and asked me to be vice-president.' Everybody – I get so emotional when I think about it – and everybody clapped and started hugging.
Joe: Every single birthday, all of our kids and grandkids – no matter where they are – they come home to our house. We have this big, old farm table [in the kitchen], and that's where we were. Maisy was totally unfazed. She said, 'Pop, can I have some more ice cream cake?'

Sen. Biden, are you ready to hit the basketball court with Barack?
Joe: Hell yeah, man.
Jill: He plays with the grandkids; we have a basketball hoop. He can train with Maisy.
Joe: I can't keep up with Maisy! The one thing I want my kids to remember about me is that I was an athlete. The hell with the rest of this stuff.

You were a college freshman when your new boss was born. Does that make you feel old?
Joe: I'm not old. There are still 44 senators older than me.

Are you carrying your rosary with you?
Joe: (Grimaces) No. I did have it with me [earlier], but I had a light blue suit on and Jill said, 'No, wear a dark one.' So I changed my suit and forgot the rosary in my pocket. I keep losing them. I think people steal 'em on me – I'm joking.

You used to stutter. Is it still something you have to consciously control?
Joe: I don't worry about it, but every once in a while you catch yourself and you're like, 'Oh, man.' It's not very often, but it's a humble reminder.

You conquered it when?
Joe: Really finished with it by my third year in college. I had to screw up all my courage to take a public speaking class in college. I was scared to death to take it. Speech therapy was a luxury no one could afford. But stuttering taught me a lot. It was probably the best experience. I wouldn't trade it – but I am so glad it's gone.

Mrs. Biden, what should Sen. Obama know about your husband's habits?
Jill: He's pretty much a night owl, so they have that in common. He's on that Blackberry and his phones constantly. I won't let him drive the car because everything's ringing. I say, 'Pull over!' It's too dangerous. Or we go the wrong places. (Laughs.)

What kinds of plans have you had to un-do now that you're otherwise booked until Election Day, at least?
Jill: I teach English at the community college, and I've already taught one week. This morning, early, I was putting my grades together, answering my students' e-mails. So that still needs to be resolved. I've been teaching 27 years. I teach writing, so you can bet that I'm going to journal this experience every chance I get.

Sen. Obama has said that chemistry was important to his choice. What do you see when you look at the two of them together?
Jill: I see a historic moment. This country has to change direction [and make] sweeping changes. I think the two of them will pull in all Americans. I have goose bumps, really, when I think of what these two can do for the country.

Have you had much time to get to know the Obamas?
Jill: Not really. It's always been at the debates, always sort of, 'Hello, how are you? How many more of these do we have to do?' But Michelle and I spent some time together this morning and we're really looking forward to being together. (Hugs Mrs. Obama.) If you think those guys have chemistry, I think we have chemistry.

Mrs. Obama, anything Sen. Biden should know about working with your husband?
Michelle: Barack is a very easy guy to work with.

What did he say when he told you his choice – and when was that?
Michelle: I've stayed out of this process. But when he told me his choice, I said, 'That's the right choice.' I was like, (snaps fingers) 'Good!' And the thing that was important for me is the reputation that Joe Biden has of being a good man. He's a good guy, he loves his family. I like the fact that he's on the train every day getting back home. Those are the kind of values that I respect. And uniformly, people have said the same thing about Jill. So, you want people you can hang out with, that you trust, that you sit down and have a good conversation with, in addition to the advice, guidance and wisdom he brings. I think about it as a wife who's got to hang out with this crew, right?


No comments: