Monday 18 August 2008

Why I Love Both Mark Ronson & Noel Gallagher...

Mark Ronson: 'Jay-Z is teaching me to play Wonderwall'Spat season continues as Mark Ronson launches a war of words with - who else? - Noel Gallagher


Mark Ronson is the newest addition to the list of People Who Don't Like Noel Gallagher. And, inevitably, the feeling is mutual.

The artists' spat got started last week, when Gallagher launched into one of his characteristic rants, spitting disdain at everyone who came to mind.

The Oasis front-man called Scouting for Girls "Scouting for Idiots", compared Amy Winehouse to a "destitute horse" and then turned his attention to the Kaiser Chiefs, saying, "I did drugs for 18 years and I never got that bad as to say, 'You know what? I think the Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant'."

But he saved some vitriol for Mark Ronson - who produced recent albums for both Winehouse and the Chiefs. "Mark Ronson needs to learn three chords on the guitar and write a tune, instead of ruining everyone else's," Gallagher sneered.

Well, it seems Ronson took Gallagher's criticism to heart, inasmuch as complete sarcasm can be considered "to heart". Posting on his MySpace blog, the producer announced that he was indeed taking guitar lessons. From Jay-Z.

"Noel Gallagher said I should 'learn three chords on the guitar and go write a tune'," Ronson wrote. "So I just wanted him to know that I'm actually taking guitar lessons from Jay-Z right now and he's already taught me both chords to Wonderwall."

Gallagher and Jay-Z had a much-publicised scrape earlier this year, culminating in the brilliant sight of Jay-Z strumming Wonderwall on a Glastonbury stage.

"In fact, it's so much fun having Jay teach me all of Noel's songs on the guitar (hooray!) that I'm thinking of doing an Oasis/Jay-Z remix album [like Danger Mouse's Grey Album]," Ronson continued. "Potential titles are Champagne Superhova or Definitely Jay-Z. I'll keep you posted."

Ronson closed his message with a final, dagger-twisting postscript – referring to the smash hit he wrote for Amy Winehouse.

"P.P.S. Noel, I did write a song called Back To Black, which actually has seven chords in it."

If this argument must continue, may we suggest pistols at dawn?

No comments: