Saturday 10 May 2008

British Sea Power @ Black Cat -- Thursday, May 8, 2008

This past Thursday I went to see the British band British Sea Power at the Black Cat in Washington, DC. I went as a part of the DC Area Britpop Meetup, even though only 2 of us actually came to the show (me & Jeremy).

The two openers weren't exactly my style. The first opener's songs weren't exactly my style, but he accompanied some of them with hand-drawn comics illustrating what he said, and that was rather amusing.

The second opener was the Rosebuds (I think that's what they're called), and they weren't too bad. They were playing much louder than they needed to, especially the bass section on the keyboards. Their songs weren't bad, but all the instruments were jumbled together so much that I couldn't really appreciate them. I prefer songs that have more "breathing room" in them, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

After that, British Sea Power came on. I had heard good things about them so I bought their cd and a ticket to their show, but I hadn't listened to the cd as much as I wanted to by the day of the show. So I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but they were GREAT! They played really well and the songs sounded even better live than they did on the cd ("Do You Like Rock Music?"). They brought some foliage out and put it up all over the stage (attached to amps, mics, etc), which was awesome. I'm pretty sure they pilfered it from some local park. Unfortunately, in order to make sure I could reclaim my (aka Jonathan's) car from the parking garage, I had to leave before the last 1 or 2 songs. While I was still there, though, I was front row center, so I got some great pictures!

I highly recommend British Sea Power!!! You can listen to their music HERE.

Here are some of the best pictures from the show:

































No comments: