Friday 30 May 2008

Crazy Noel-age :OP

Ahh, Noel...

Here's an interview thingy from the Observer on May 25:




This much I know
Noel Fielding, comedian, 35, London

Interview Eva Wiseman
Sunday May 25, 2008
The Observer


Fame is a bit Nietzschean. For everything good, something bad happens to you, so you have to sort of be careful.

My mum and dad are quite hippyish, so I'm pretty naive. I take everyone at face value.

When you're famous you can't go to Topshop. Even when I disguise myself in a moustache, baseball cap, sunglasses - the full Madonna kit - it doesn't work: my stupid face is too big.

The more people drink, the more they want from you. At 9 o'clock people want a photo, at 10 o'clock they want you to write them an essay, and at 1 in the morning, they want you to speak to their nan, who named a dog after you - which is a true story.

Gay people are all like Superman. You have to be quite strong to be gay - or to be different in any way. You build special muscles.

I'm strong, like a flea. A really powerful flea.

The more glam you look and the more you believe your own hype, the more likely you are to get your head cut off. I learned that when I saw a dragonfly being decapitated by ants.

Some people have a fear of being on stage. I have a fear of coming off it.

Stand-up is like school. When you're not very good, you're a supply teacher and the kids will run riot. Bill Hicks was a headmaster; I'm getting up to being maybe a part-time French teacher.

Trousers can never be too tight. You have to go through a couple of days of pain, then everything stretches out.

I visited a friend in Leicester recently. It was 4am, and we all ran round in a circle, six of us. It's the most fun I've had since I was seven. And I thought: it's not about drink, or drugs, or fancy clubs. It's about running around in your socks, changing direction! In a front room in Leicester.

There's not enough psychedelic stuff on TV. I want the world to be a bit weirder than it is. I hate reality, so I hate reality TV. But I love Columbo

We're attracted to dark stuff as human beings. I know it's wrong, but I love guns.

When I was 14, I saw someone getting their face and wrists slashed with a knife in a pub in Catford. Nobody lifted a finger. That's when I realised that violence wasn't funny. At all.

I never did that badly with women when I wasn't on telly, but it's a bit out of control now. Women try it on with me more than I'm comfortable with. It's strange, because I think I look like a troll wearing a woman's wig backwards.

I'm a mischievous drunk. I hate the kind of drunks that you have to run away from when you see that look in their eyes like they're planning to kill you and wear your skin as a leisure suit.

I like what Little Britain is doing, but when you get as popular as that, it becomes something else other than comedy, like bread or oranges or wallpaper.

With the Boosh we take something like a merman and give him a vagina and make him look a bit like Rick James and get him to play the funk. That's what we do.

It's important to keep the chain of influences going. Someone you admire likes Bob Dylan, who likes Woody Guthrie... It's important, otherwise people just disappear.

I don't have back-to-front ram's legs, but I feel like I have. All of my comedy stems from the fact that I feel like I'm half-man, half-animal. A man is funny, but a man with antlers is hilarious. And I'm going to see this experiment through to the end.

· An exhibition of Noel Fielding's art is at Maison Bertaux, 28 Greek Street, London W1 (07985 395 079) until 21 June



Also...Noel Fielding playing football!! Huzzah!







And a HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY to Noel Fielding, who turned 35 on the 21st . . . I forgot to blog about it . . . oops!

No comments: